Wednesday, August 20, 2008

When A Good Day Turns Bad

Just a short little bitch about how my good day yesterday turned into a bad day last night. I won't go over how work went - its a job and had no bearing on the rest of my day.

I stopped at the store on the way home from work and bought some groceries and some fresh steaks. It was a nice evening and I figured a grilled steak would be quite tasty. Then I stopped at my parents to take care of their mail and cat, while they are out of town. I also stole a couple of potatoes so I could make some fresh real mashed potots to go with the steak.

So I got home and relaxed for a little while, then started dinner. I got the potatoes going and then fired up the grill. I seasoned the steak and threw it on the grill and left it to do its magic. I went back inside and did a little quick cleaning up (basically to just kill some time while the steak was cooking). Checked the steak and it was ready for a flip. I love the sizzle that makes when you flip that succulent beef over to a fresh side!! Then I went back in to check the potatoes. Almost finished. My timing was working out to near perfection. By the time i mashed the potatoes and got a drink out of the fridge, the steak would be done to perfection.

I went back out and took the steak of the grill. It looked fantastic and smelled even better. Put the whole meal together, along with a small bowl of applesauce and a beer. The steak was tremendous! Perfectly pink in the middle and done on the outside. Mmmmmmmm not much better end to a day then a grilled steak and a beer!! Oh wait - there is always the television. Surely there is some good movie on or a football game or something . . . . . flip, flip, flip . . . . hmmm, nothing!

No matter, I have several excellent movies up on my computer, I will just go fire that up and enjoy a movie that way. So I went upstairs to fire up the computer. I turned on the DSL modem and router and then hit the button to turn the computer on. Nothing. At first I thought maybe I didn't hit the button all the way. So I hit it again, making sure I actually hit it. Again, nothing. Uh oh - this don't look good. So I began trouble shooting. I basically unplugged everything and tried a different outlet, a different plug in the power strip, disconnecting and reconnecting the power chord - still nothing. CRAPPERS!!!! So then I opened up the case to see if I could see anything glaringly wrong inside. It all looked normal to me.

So I called Devil and asked his help on diagnosing my computer problem. We tried a few things with no success and he diagnosed a dead power supply. Thankfully he has a few spares at his house and said to bring it over this weekend to see if we can bring it back to life. Devil is good like that, fixing broked pcs or just building them from parts.

In the meantime, my good night turned into frustration and anger by not being able to do what I wanted with my computer. Because just what do you do when there is nothing good on TV and your computer is dead?? Thankfully the answer was sitting right on my bedside table.

Merlin and Devil turned me on to a series of books written by George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire. All I will tell you here is that they are amazing novels. I am presently in the middle of Book IV and waiting for Book V to be released. So I layed down on my bed and continued reading til it was time to turn the lights out and call it a day.

I guess in the end, it wasn't such a bad day after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment